Tarrytown United Methodist Church values the committed people who are part of our staff. Their dedication to the ministry of this faith community is key to the vitality of the church. If you think you’d like to consider a position at TUMC, we invite you to be in touch. We list open positions below.
High School Guys Youth Ministry Intern
Tarrytown United Methodist Church is seeking an enthusiastic individual with a contagious and catalytic faith to work with our Youth Ministry team to lead our high school guys into a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ during the Spring 2019 school semester (January 1-May 30, 2019). This five month internship will be a good opportunity to gain hands-on experience in youth ministry. Current or potential ministries the candidate would be a part of include High School Midweek, Sunday night activities, Sunday School, attending worship with the youth, and High School Guys Small Group. The candidate should love relationship building through activities such as meeting at peoples’ homes, going to school events, zip-lining, laser tag, paintball, bowling, going to the movies, etc. A musical background for participation with our youth band is a plus, but not required.
Education: The intern will need to have completed at least one full year of college.
Church Participation: The intern will demonstrate commitment to attending worship and other church-wide activities at Tarrytown United Methodist Church.
Hours: 15 hours/week
Responsible to: Director of Children’s Ministries and Youth Ministries Team
Works closely with: Youth Ministries Team
- A strong love of God and people and an active, growing, and mature relationship with Jesus Christ; dedicated to the spiritual growth of self and others.
- Close theological alignment with the belief and practices of Tarrytown United Methodist Church.
- Self-starter with demonstrated leadership ability.
- Friendly and energetic personality with a contagious love and care for youth and parents.
- Christ-Centered/Spirit-Led: Lives a life shaped by the story of scripture, centered on Christ, and directed by the Holy Spirit.
- Youth-Focused: Makes relationship building with the youth a number one priority and leads other leaders and volunteers to do the same.
- Authentic: Can relate faith to real-life circumstances and navigate the fine line between being relatable, approachable, friendly, and fun while exercising your responsibility for the students.
- Team-Oriented: Demonstrates interest, skill and success in team environments; promotes group goals ahead of personal agendas; avoids communication triangles; steps up to offer self as a resource to other members of the team; understands and supports the importance of teamwork; shares credit for success with others, takes responsibility for their part in team failures; overcomes personal bias to genuinely hear the ideas and concerns of another; can describe the perspective of another, even when he/she disagrees.
- Ownership: Shows up and makes decisions as a vital member of the team; recognizes importance of contributions; demonstrates understanding and full support of the mission, vision, values and beliefs of the church; can demonstrate those values to others; consistently behaves in a manner congruent with the mission, values and beliefs.
- Build relationships with and disciple our High School guys.
- Lead small group bible-study and conversation.
- Work directly with youth ministry staff to plan, organize, coordinate, and lead ministry activities.
- Attend games and other school functions.
- Communicate with students, parents, and volunteers in order to relay information and follow-up on events, needs, projects, and goals.
- Attend youth ministry trips (paid for by the church).
- Help out with activity and event set up, phone calls, communication, teaching, etc.
To Apply, please email the following to email@example.com:
- Cover Letter
- Provide a brief introduction of yourself and your faith journey
- Outline your call to work in youth ministry and/or your goals for the internship.
- Three References